Angis Mustangs

Angi Keitel Murray participated in the original 2007 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Freedom,
2008 Western States Mustang Challenge with Prosperity,
2009 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Azania.
2011 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Ima LunaMiss,
and the 2012 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Sonador

Angi trains the many beautiful rescued mustangs at Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue in Lancaster, CA.
and Mustangs as well as other breeds for private clients in Palmdale, CA

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 11th

It is windy today and Ari and I work in the round pen. I start our session with the lariet rope. It takes only a moment to walk up to him, rub on him with it, then put a loop over his neck. With this done I can use the rope around his legs, by his cinch area, and to toss it over his head a bunch to desensitize him. Ari says it tickles and annoys him, which he expresses by bucking or kicking at the rope. Whenever he stops and looks at me I release the pressure and let him stand. This standing still thing seems like a good idea to him so very soon Ari is no longer bucking or kicking. With the stick and string I work on rubbing him and using the string to toss over him. I jump around, kick out my legs and swing my arms around quickly. Ari is sure that I am insane at this point but he gets over his fear of fast movement rather quickly. I am able to halter my "wild" horse in a short amount of time. With Jamie and Kathy watching from the inside of a warm truck I lay down in the dirt with Ari nosing me to see if I live or not. He did not know that people roll in the sand also :) I end our evening with leading him out of the roundpen and part way down the alley to his big pen before I unhalter him.

No comments: