Angis Mustangs

Angi Keitel Murray participated in the original 2007 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Freedom,
2008 Western States Mustang Challenge with Prosperity,
2009 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Azania.
2011 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Ima LunaMiss,
and the 2012 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Sonador

Angi trains the many beautiful rescued mustangs at Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue in Lancaster, CA.
and Mustangs as well as other breeds for private clients in Palmdale, CA

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My fat horse grows up

So much has happened and I have had so little time to write. Beth came over and we took the horses out to ride on the trail. Azania liked having a horse to follow and lead sometimes, he really went out like he had been out on trail a million times. He didn't look twice at the trash in the desert. He walked calmly past mattresses, plastic bags, and cardboard boxes. He had a blast. We were riding for about two hours. It was so much fun. I've spent all my spare time watching dressage videos and trying to work Azania. Often it feels like AHHHHHH and sometimes it feels like AH HA! We are getting things worked out and working on much more.
Yesterday my friend Ingrid came over to ride Azania. It was a blast. For any of you who have met Ingrid you understand what a blast this lady is. The first time I met her I was struck on just how bold and confident this woman was with horses and how much fun she was to be around. She is even crazier then I am! The first thing Ingrid did was walk right up to him and pick up his feet, getting all into his space. Azania handled this really well, tolerating Ingrid rubbing all over him. Then she played with him a little and got on. He tested a little bit but then realized that Ingrid was stronger then him. Azania conceded respect and rode well. I told Ingrid that I had been doing crazy stuff with him so she added to it by standing on his back and jumping on him from the fence from directly behind him. It was so much fun. Thank you Ingrid!!! I had a blast and I know Azania did too.
We have been working alot on collection. With help of the dressage videos I have started Azania in collecting his head and neck. He is getting it so quickly. The idea is to drive him forward while taking a feel on the outside rein and giving a light rythem to the inside rein. This teaches him to collect on the light feel of the outside rein. It was so nice to feel Azania start to reach for the bit a little and collect. It was beautiful :)
Then this morning I met with Morgan who is helping me put together a program for if we make the top ten. She gave me ideas and inspired me so now I have tons of work to do! I will surely get no sleep for the next month........

No comments: