Angis Mustangs

Angi Keitel Murray participated in the original 2007 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Freedom,
2008 Western States Mustang Challenge with Prosperity,
2009 Extreme Mustang Makeover with Azania.
2011 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Ima LunaMiss,
and the 2012 Supreme Extreme Mustang Makeover with Sonador

Angi trains the many beautiful rescued mustangs at Lifesavers Wild Horse Rescue in Lancaster, CA.
and Mustangs as well as other breeds for private clients in Palmdale, CA

Sunday, August 2, 2009

The continueing saga of my fattie

How does one girl make a fat mustang lose weight? This week Azania goes into a stall for quite awhile and I am tempted to make one big body sweat for him so he can look slimmer :)- He is going to be mad when he discovers how his food is being cut down into smaller rations.
I have had several more days of work into him and it is going well. Sometimes I get discouraged (this is such a three year old!) but most of the time I am just proud of how much try this guy has in him. It is important to me how people see the difference in a horse that has been "started" as opposed to "broke". I know it takes longer and way more patience but in the end you have a trusting partner who will give you their all......
So, Azania is now a big boy. He is wearing a bit. He clearly understands his walk/trot/lope with out protest. He has a good whoa. The first two times in the bit he would push his nose into it (typical left brain pushes into pressure) and I would just keep my hands steady until he would give his poll, tipping his nose down into his chest. He is now tucking his head to stop. YEAH AZANIA!!! He is mostly stopping off his hip thanks to the "whoa means three steps back" belief I have. He is beginning to understand yielding the parts of his body in motion. Then Thursday I started riding him in the big pen with the babies and yesterday we went out on trail. I just couldn't wait for someone to ride with me and Azania said I'm ready mom. I told my roommate to look for me if you don't see me in an hour and off we went. Down the road, into the desert and he really was pretty confident with it all. I am so proud of this horse, wild and untouched to out on trail so quickly..........

No comments: